[digiKam-users] More on keywords

Northern Colorado Event Photograph no.colo.event.photog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 04:35:44 BST 2019

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information on "Multiple
simultaneous keyword entry."

Regarding the woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> post on July 27th:

"You CAN actually enter a list of keywords separated by commas."

This didn't work for me.  I would like to know what operating system you
are using (mine is 64 bit Win 7 Pro SP1

I tried twice entering 3 keywords: once with a comma and space separating
the keywords, and once with a comma but no space separating the keywords.
All I ended up with is the last keyword entry.

Plus, I discovered that once you enter/apply a keyword (such as a name used
in multiple images) you cannot enter it again in the Tags field - you get
an error message.

Perhaps your reaction to that is "so what."  My reaction is that I then
have to "track down" the keyword I want and I am back to entering keywords
one at a time.

As far as the jdd at dodin.org comment "He was using something else and he is
trying to replicate the same thing in DK instead of adapting to DK to end
up with similar results."  I can only say that I am trying to replicate
that "something else" because it is very efficient, and I do not find that
same efficiency with the digiKam keyword feature.

But that, obviously, is just my personal opinion.

Regarding the James Orr <jorr1948 at earthlink.net> comment about using the
Caption field for keywords, I reserve the Caption field for a description
of people and places.  And yes, it's true that some of the text I enter in
the Caption field is also used as keyword entries.  *The issue for me is
that every image has a different, unique set of keywords.*  That's just my
way of managing my images.

Perhaps the suggestion that comes closest to my way of working is the one
by Alan H <webaccounts at live.com> on July 29th:  "With one or more photos
selected in the photo pane, . . . select (check) the tags you want. Apply."

However, given my image processing workflow, I would need to enter all the
keywords I might need before I start the metadata entry step of my workflow.