[digiKam-users] Web based interface (in PHP etc)

Tac Tacelosky tacman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:24:09 BST 2019

Although it might seem like bad programming practice to put jpeg/png blob
in a database instead of a filesystem, I'd love that option.  In
particular, it'd allow a cloud-based solution to not require an disk usage,
making it cheaper to deploy.

That is, pay for a cloud-based database, then use a free or low-cost
deployment like heroku, create a dynamic site, and not need access to the
original images to create the thumbnails, nor need access to a disk system
in the heroku deployment.

A second database could be used, or another table in the database with the
image blob, but MUCH better would be an option for how you wanted in the
images stored.  PNG and JPG rendering will come from a library, so perhaps
the developer would be open to this, even if it renders images differently
than the current method.

Of course, the images could also be stored on s3, but that's considerably
more complicated, since the images are de-coupled from the database.