[digiKam-users] How to rebuild RAW thumbnails?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Sat Sep 29 17:04:51 BST 2018

On 29.09.18 15:28, leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
> On 9/29/18 8:55 AM, Maik Qualmann wrote:
>> I did not understand the problem at first, but I can reproduce it with my
>> Nikon. First of all, it is not a good idea to take a image in B&W
>> digitally.
> Hi
> I don't agree with that. When you want to make B&W image, you have to
> see world in B&W, then you can shot in B&W. B&W world is not a simple
> conversion, it's completely different from color world, because of the
> rendering/conversion of colors, the light, contrast, etc...It would be
> very long to explain here. Its' my professional experience for (too)
> many years... :)
> Regards

I agree. When I want to shoot b&w I switch the camera to b&w to have a
better preview of the desired image. When you shoot in b&w you apply
very different rules to shadows and lights.

I am happy to have the thumbnails in digikam in b&w then, too, it helps
me with the selection without the need to convert color pictures "in my
mind".

However, I only use the jpg's for selection purposes and then "develop"
the final image from raw, deciding how I convert them to b&w.

Of course I switch the camera to normal color mode when shooting in color.

Another advantage of this is that later, much later, when I forgot about
the original session and setting, I still know at a glace, whether I
wanted it in color or b&w.
--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer