[digiKam-users] Properties tab: Change fields aligment to improve legibility (usability)

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 25 16:45:42 BST 2018

On mardi 25 septembre 2018 17:01:44 CEST Gilles Caulier wrote:
> What do you think about this layout ?
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/44908963831/in/dateposted/
>
> Instead to put the info name on the left side and the info value on the
> right side, both on the same line, i put all info on a dedicated line,
> centered.
>
> Align all to left is horrible to read. centering lines give the best
> result.
>
> To compare, i show dolphin properties left sidebar. The alignment on the
> same line is the same than current DK, but the value can take more than one
> line if necessary. It's more optimum than version proposed in my layout.
>
> Note that alignment of info lines in current code is the same than Dolphin,
> excepted for the multi-lines support for the values.

And I must say that I prefer, by far, the current situation, with item
captions right aligned and values left aligned. Having the item captions on
their own lines means that you can show only half the items, and that means
(more) scrolling to see all the items.

 You waste a lot of horizontal space as well, since for most items, caption
and value fit comfortably on one line.

Perhaps allow several lines for the filename and caption fields. Though captions
can be very long, do you really want to see 5-10 lines taken up by one field?

Remco