[digiKam-users] Is there a way to run an external program/script on selected images?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Sep 19 16:17:19 BST 2018

Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On mercredi 19 septembre 2018 12:48:37 CEST Chris Green wrote:
> > woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > I use xterm as a terminal for digikam scripts in Ubuntu, so it should work
> > > as Xubuntu as well.
> > >
> > > /xterm -e /path/to/script.sh %U/
> > >
> > > where %U is a list of the filenames of selected pictures that are passed
> > > as
> > > arguments to the script.
> >
> > This doesn't work as expected.  What happens (on my xubuntu 18.04
> > system running Digikam 5.9) is that the script is called once for each
> > selected image with the parameter being the file name.  I.e. I don't
> > get the script called with "a list of the filenames of selected
> > pictures".
> >
> > Is this a bug or as designed?
> A bit of googling lead to this:
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html
>
> As you can see there, there's a difference between "%U" and "%u". Are you sure
> you used the uppercase version?

I don't think this is the problem.  I have the file association for
JPEG set up to run a script.

If I select a number of files in my file manager and open them (with
the default application for JPEG) then one instance of the script gets
run with all the names as an argument.

If I "Open with Default Application" in Digikam I get my script
started up once for each image with one name as an argument.

The desktop file for my script has:-

    Exec=/home/chris/.cfg/bin/setmeta %U

--
Chris Green