[digiKam-users] The task "/usr/bin digikam -qwindowtitle digikam" appears twice in htop

Maik Qualmann metzpinguin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:33:10 BST 2018

 I now have over 320k images and over 1100 albums in my collection. With the
help of this script (https://loteks.de/tausende-zufaellige-bilder-mit-fortlaufenden-namen/) and additional code that automatically creates folders,
I have now created 300k random images, 500 folders x 600 images. My computer
is an already "older" AMD with 2 cores with 8GB memory, a SSD for the system
and an HDD for the images. An actually already longer planned update, I still
push in front of me, since he is still enough for me. The local MySQL DB is on
the SSD. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with kernel 4.18.9 and Plasma KF5.50. DigiKam is
compiled from git/master itself. Of course, the first scan takes a while. Now
the times:

Start until the GUI is visible (last time the album mode was set): 10 seconds.

New item scan in the status bar: 22 seconds.

Change the sort order in albums with 600-2000 images: no delay.

The albums and images can be browsed without delay.

Search for keywords where the result is around 2000 images: 1 second.

Now the extreme, the search for images without keywords, here so 300k images.
The Icon view is able to display this number of images, takes 3 minutes and
digiKam use itself 1.3GB memory. Changing the sort order of this view takes 4
minutes. Here I will try to optimize further.

For me an interesting self-test and I think digiKam is also suitable for such
a collection.

Maik