[digiKam-users] Multi-user digiKam setup?

digikam at 911networks.com digikam at 911networks.com
Fri Nov 30 22:05:18 GMT 2018

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 20:14:20 +0100
Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The multi users setup require severals works in digiKam database
> interface.
>
> Outside the fact that you need to use a remote Mysql Database, this
> needs a lock mechanism to prevent concurrents access to the
> contents. Of course this want mean a to share the same database
> contents (collection) between users.
>
> A first approach is to work like shared document between Words we
> users can change contents. A lock mechanism is done to open
> document in RW for the first people, and in Read only for all
> others. This less powerful but this simplify the workflow to
> manage. A versionning system is also required in this configuration.
>
> They are some files already open in bugzilla about this topic. We
> will need to found a new student to work on this project next
> summer.

If you could add to each table:

* owner_id , it could be digikam until a later time that it
  could/would be upgraded to actual users
* group_id, it could be digikam until a later time that it
  could/would be upgraded to actual groups
* location, it could be null until used
* date & time of last add/edit

Then most of the multi-user stuff could be done by mysql/mariadb: the
record locking, the reads, the writes...

Then as you dedicate more resources, things could be integrated
within DK at later time to make it more transparent.

sknahT

vyS

--
sknahT