[digiKam-users] digiKam 6.0.0 and video support : need video samples

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:44:04 GMT 2018

Hi all users,

Just a fresh feedback from the video management support in next digiKam
6.0.0.

Since we switch all video metadata suport from Exiv2 to FFmpeg, we boost
the application to another space.

I tested with my big collection of video (MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI - more than
3000 items), and i can said that scan on multi-core is fast and stable. The
video metadata extraction is powerful and populate properly the database
with the suitable information to perform a video search.

All video format supported by FFMpeg will be registered to the database.
The metadata extraction is optimum for MP4 and MOV, and today i finalized
the wrap of RIFF files metadata to database (AVI and more).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Interchange_File_Format

Note : WebP image format from Google dedicated to use on internet is also a
RIFF based container, so it will be automatically supported in digiKam.

The MKV metadata support is partial and i plan to optimize this part in the
future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Note : The HTML5 video format WebM from google based on Matroska will be
also automatically supported by digiKam.

This is a search view screenshot over my database :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/40743725771/in/pool-digikam-labs/

This want mean that i need again more video file sample taken with camera,
cellular, or created with linear video editing application, even if the
test collection growing up quickly:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10-SJNtJZZQd_LIchfav-YQ9a-pNsQStT

The orientation of video is very important because we are now able to
extract the rotation flag from metadata and adjust automatically the video
accordingly while playing. So video taken in vertical mode will be a plus
to test this feature.

I need especially AVI, MKV, and other exotic video formats as 3GP, FLV for
ex.

This is very import to explain how the file have been captured/generated,
as to list the device and software used in production process.

Thanks in advance for your help.