[digiKam-users] digiKam 6.0.0 and video support : need video samples

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 16:15:57 GMT 2018

Gilles,

Here is some samples made by Android 6 and Android 7.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QbDTxZxsDhnUAbUY4uLOhanhfM4qVNW7?usp=sharing

I also played with Windows Explorer, VLC and Dolphin to see which tags are
more cross platform.
It turned out that Microsoft uses some [Microsoft] tags which are not being
recognized by VLC or Dolphin.

[QuickTime]     Title                           : Android 6.0.1 tags by
Windows
[QuickTime]     Comment                         : comment should be here

[Microsoft]     SharedUserRating                : 50
[Microsoft]     Subtitle                        : Subtitle should be
here
[Microsoft]     Category                        : digikam, test, andrey

VLC sees:
[QuickTime]     Title                           : Android 6.0.1 tags by
Windows
[QuickTime]     Comment                         : comment should be here

Dolphin sees:
[QuickTime]     Title

as well as Album, Genre, etc.

but Dolphin does not see:
[QuickTime]     Comment

I was not able to figure out which tag does Dolphin see as "Comment" in the
Preview Panel
Neither was I able to find out how to write tags(keywords) and rating using
ffmpeg.
But I think the last one can be fixed, see here:
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2017-July/036575.html

Best regards,

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Excelent. Thanks a lots.
>
> Gilles Caulier

>> Hello Gilles
>>

>> I will send you more videos made by Android phones, Nikon and Medion
>> camera tomorrow.
>>
>> Thank You for Your great work doing on digikam.
>> Jürgen
>>
>> Zitat von Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:
>>

>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This week, i solved a main problem with video support in digiKam with
>>> next
>>> 6.0.0.
>>>
>>> Exiv2 video support exists, but it's completely bugous and crash digiKam
>>> quickly. This problem exists since many year now, and as nobody is
>>> motivated to fix Exiv2 video code, i used a different way to support
>>> video
>>> metadata : ffmpeg.
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/39880716214/
>>>
>>> The way to use ffmpeg as new dependency do not increase the application
>>> complexity. The dependencies puzzle still the same as use use already
>>> QtAV
>>> to play video and this one use ffmpeg in background. So digiKam depends
>>> already of ffmpeg since 5.4.0 release.
>>>
>>> The idea to support properly video metadata is to be able to manage video
>>> medias as images. The database must be able to search video items based
>>> of
>>> video properties, taken from metadata. The search engine is already ready
>>> since a while, by the scan engine used to populate the database is not
>>> suitable as video support in Exiv2 is so far un-finalized (in video file
>>> parser).
>>>
>>> Else, Exiv2 is well implemented to support video metadata tags, as all
>>> XMP
>>> namespace implemented by myself few years ago. So if we have a different
>>> parser to fill XMP tags from video, the problem will be solved.
>>>
>>> And it's done with current implementation from next 6.0.0 branch. FFMPeg
>>> is
>>> able to extract most important video properties as :
>>>
>>> make
>>> model,
>>> dates,
>>> duration,