[digiKam-users] digiKam 6.0.0 and video support : need video samples

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:12:44 GMT 2018

Thanks...

Typically yes : The current solution working (just verified after to patch
the 5.9.0 code): use XMP sidecar.

For 6.0.0, i found some dirty code in Github to update video file metadata
with FFMpeg, but the code need to be re-writed.
FFMpeg is not dedicated to play with metadata but with media stream and
properties (metadata in fact). Updating metadata in video want mean :

1/ the open a new temp video file.
2/ backport streams inside (video, audio, subtitles). It's a byte-array
copy, no re-encode.
3/ add new metadata in streams accordingly with the data update.
4/ close temp video file and overwrite the target.

In other words, we cannot play with metadata directly in target file
without to pass with a temporary file.