[digiKam-users] AppImage and "Open in File Manager"

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Wed Jun 6 20:38:22 BST 2018

Hello list,

I am using digiKam AppImage 5.9.0 on a KDE desktop. When I rightclick an album
and choose "Open in File Manager" from the context menu, no file manager is
opened. Instead I see the "Choose Application" dialog. And this "Choose
Application" dialog does not show any applications.

Expected behavior:

Clicking "Open in File Manager" starts dolphin (default KDE file manager) in the
album's directory.

Try some workarounds:

Like in the "Open With" dialog, I can type "dolphin" in the "Choose Application"
dialog. This will start dolphin, but instead of the album's directory, I only
see this error message in dolphin:

> Unable to create io-slave. Can not find 'kioslave' executable at '/usr/bin, /usr/bin/libexec, ././/lib64/libexec/kf5'

This dolphin instance is not useable.

Working workaround:

If I type "dolphin4" in the "Choose Application" dialog, a working instance of
dolphin is started and showing the desired album directory.

But this process (open dialog, type "dolphin4", pressing ENTER) is quite
cumbersome for every-day usage.

Does anybody know about another way to start a filemanager in the current album?

Are there plans to create settings in digiKam to configure the paths of external
tools? If it is too errorprone to get the list of file managers from the current
desktop environment, you could provide an input box in digiKam settings, so the
user can define the desired file manager by entering "/usr/bin/dolphin4".

Or is this problem based on the fact, that I am using digiKam AppImage 5.9.0 on
Debian Stretch with an older KDE?

Regards,
	Peter