[digiKam-users] Deleting hidden metadata from images

zoii zbanikos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 02:14:50 BST 2018

Hi all,

I'm having issues deleting metadata from images. I wanted to re-organise a
bunch of images, so for each tag I wanted to delete, I selected all images
with that tag, unchecked the tag, assigned the images a new tag, then
deleted the old tag.

The problem is, when I extract the image metadata using the camtrapR package
in R, it becomes clear that all of the old tags are still written into the
image files. When I go back to Digikam, the old tags (which I thought I'd
deleted) have reappeared – but they have no images assigned to them (they
are just empty tags). So everything seems to be as it should in Digikam,
except for the fact that these ghost tags are hanging around – but when I
extract the image metadata, it's a mish-mash of old, "deleted" tags and the
new ones.

Any ideas how I can fix this? I'm still pretty Digikam-illiterate as I've
only started using it recently, so if you could dumb down your answers I'd
be very grateful. Thanks in advance for any help!

Note: I'm not using sidecars currently.

Cheers,

Zoi