[digiKam-users] Read Error in windows version but not in linux version

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Mon Jul 9 01:57:28 BST 2018

In my mind this seems to imply that your directory, file names and maybe
even your associated metadata have characters not shared between Linux
and Windows.

Linux uses UTF-8 while Windows CP-1252. They are different code pages
and when characters unique to one or other code page is used in a system
that is not code-page aware -- like Windows, the programs get upset.

The only way to resolve the issue is to fix the offending paths, file
names or metadata.

This is applicable for any program and is not unique to DigiKam.

Although this may not be the main problem, my understanding is that the
path of files are stored as UUID+Path. I am not sure how robust the
conversion routines are converting paths between Linux/UNIX format and
Windows Format. Some of the issues may relate to this. Certainly most
people report problems when moving their data between drives as this
changes the UUID.

If I have the time, to test, I'd create one directory with a small
number of files. Check all of them for any character that is are not
a-z, A-Z, 0-9, space and _

Duplicate on your NAS.

Try creating a database in Linux using one of the directories.
Try creating a database in Windows using the other directory.

Try adding the Linux directory to Windows install and visa versa. I
suspect this won't work. If it does, then the issue you are reporting is
probably just code page incompatibility and you need to seek out the
offending characters.

*@Gilles -- This list regularly gets queries about how to setup a
central photo repositories and have multiple clients looking into the a
single database. In most cases, like Clive its involves mixed operating
systems. I have never seen a clear response from the developers if this
is even feasible. Can you please clarify?**
*

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Principal Consultant