[digiKam-users] Read Error in windows version but not in linux version

cliver clive at reynoldscrc.me.uk
Sun Jul 8 12:40:52 BST 2018

Hi all,
I'm new to Digikam and image management in general so please bear with me.

I am trying to organise all my old photos and maintain things ongoing. I
have a collection of older images, mainly jpegs and some newer RAW images
taken from a Nikon D7200 camera. All stored on a local NAS.

I have 2 instances of Digikam installed.
Version 5.6.0 on a laptop running Ubuntu Mate
Version 5.9.0 on an different Laptop running Windows 10

I installed the Ubuntu version first and set it up and it seems to be
running OK. However my windows 10 laptop is far more powerful so I decided
to try the windows version.
On this instance when I set up Digikam the same and add the same NAS  folder
as a collection I get a load of errors when I run Digikam and when I try to
open any of the RAW images downloaded from the camera.

The errors I am getting are:
  Read Error at Scanline xxxxxxx, got 252 bytes, expected 8160
  Unknown Field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered
  ASCII value for TAG 'Copyright' contains null byte in value
  Value incorrectly truncated during reading due to implementation
limitations

These errors despite reading exactly the same files in both instances.

So my question:
Have I missed something in the setup on the windows version?
Or is this a bug in the Windows version of Digikam?
Or perhaps a bug in either the Nikon camera software or even windows (heaven
forbid ;)

I am contemplating setting the windows machine to dual boot linux but it's
brand new and still under warranty so would like to at least delay that if I
can.

Can anyone guide me as to the best way forward in getting it to run on
windows?

Thanks and Regards
Clive