[digiKam-users] old Canon CRW not recognized as RAW (for Metadata)?

karsten_df karsten.defreese at posteo.de
Fri Jul 6 16:16:53 BST 2018

one more issue I've come across, as I've been spending some time tagging old
pictures, now that dk runs so fast with the internals database..
Again this is with the 5.9.0. AppImage on Tubleweed.

I've set digikam to write metadata also to the picture files in addition to
the database.
For good reasons this should not be performed for RAW pictures. Actually, I
believe, writing metadata to RAW files is generally disabled in current
digikam, as the corrsponding configuration item is greyed out.

For my recent RAW pictures (Olympus ORF) this works perfectly well.

Some old RAW files from a Canon G3 (built around 2003) however get destroyed
as soon as I assign tags to them. digikam seems to write metadata to the RAW
file, which results in destroyed files of a few kB size.
Not a major desaster in this case, as I had a backup, but I wonder why that
happens.

best regards -
Karsten