[digiKam-users] migrating to internal MySQL

Pedro Neves nevesdiver at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:11:50 BST 2018

On 06-07-2018 08:25, karsten_df wrote:
> hi Gilles,
>
> actually yes, and the text was indeed fairly clear once I had understood the
> concept ;-)

Hi all:

Inspired by Karsten, I'm trying to set up my Digikam to use an internal
MySQL server. However, I'm getting an error message:

An error occurred during the internal server start.

Details: Could not start database initializer.

Executable: mysql_install_db

Arguments: --datadir=/home/username/.digikam2/.mysql.digikam/db_data,
--defaults-file=/home/username/.local/share/digikam/mysql.conf

Process error: Unknown error

If I start Digikam from the command line, I get further info:

digikam.databaseserver: Stdout: "\nFATAL ERROR: Could not find
./bin/my_print_defaults\n\nIf you compiled from source, you need to
either run 'make install' to\ncopy the software into the correct
location ready for operation.\nIf you don't want to do a full install,
you can use the --srcddir\noption to only install the mysql database and
privilege tables\n\nIf you are using a binary release, you must either
be at the top\nlevel of the extracted archive, or pass the --basedir
option\npointing to that location.\n\nThe latest information about
mysql_install_db is available
at\nhttps://mariadb.com/kb/en/installing-system-tables-mysql_install_db\n"
digikam.databaseserver: Stderr: ""
digikam.databaseserver: Exit code: 1
digikam.databaseserver: Process error: "Unknown error"
digikam.databaseserver: Cannot start internal database server

Steps I performed:

1 - In Digikam/Settings/Configure digikam:

Change database configuration from Type SQLite to Mysql internal
(experimental);
Change database location
Check that the binaries were found on my system (both files have a
"check" before)
Press OK

Digikam displays a message asking if it's ok to create the folder for
the DB. Press yes

Error message shows up...

Any hints? (I'm using Arch linux and Digikam 5.9.0)

Thanks in advance:

Pedro