[digiKam-users] migrating to internal MySQL

karsten_df karsten.defreese at posteo.de
Wed Jul 4 12:00:01 BST 2018

I'm currently using digikam with an external MySQL server located on a small
& not so powerful server in my network, For performance reasons, I'd like to
test the configuration with an internal MySQL Server, but I'm finding little
information how it works.
I had thought the internal MySQL server would work somehow like this
- I'd set up e.g. a mariadb server on the PC on the PC digikam is running at
- I'd create the three databases (core, thumbs, faces),
  and populate them with a dump I made on the server
- I'd enter the details of the co-located server into digikam's setup

However, the dialog for using an internal MySQL db looks much different to
the external one -
no way to enter db names, user/password, etc. Seems that digikam wants to
configure the databases itself, resp. digikam has a built-in MySQL server?

Is there some more information how this works, especially in a case where
existing databases need to be migrated?
(I've also looked at the Migration dialog, but before trying this I'd like
to better understand the background :-)