All albums are removed if there is a network disconnection

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:41:29 GMT 2018

Looking at the latest OP's report it is more likely to be a bug in the Windows version of digikam.
As it works in the open source world, if you are not able to contribute the patch the best you can do is: first, stay calm, second, let the developers know (create a detailed bug report), third, remain calm and hope they have resources to fix your bug quickly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Karl Günter Wünsch <kgw at mineralien-verkauf.de> Date: 2018-01-30  11:32 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: digikam-users at kde.org Subject: Re: All albums are removed if there is a network disconnection
On 30.01.18 18:11, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> But a local file *cannot* be "unavailable just for a short moment",
And here I beg to differ. What if I move the files to another mounted
drive? Still available but no longer in the place they were before. And
IIRC some information aren't stored in the sidecar files but rather in
the almost completely inaccessible (and ignored by most backup solutions
as well as many tools implementing file system operations) extended
attributes as the semantic desktop mandates, it's a pain to try and keep
those information with the original files if at all possible (the
networked drives don't support extended attributes and neither does the
NTFS driver (even though that concept is available there too)...

That mindset you just expressed has driven me away from digikam (after I
ran into similar issues years ago - I honestly thought they had been
addressed) and into the arms of the subscription of a commercial DAM
(along with a switch to first Windows and then after a while to MacOS) -
because they (unlike digikam) have embraced the concept that any
information in the DAM should persist until such a time when the user
actively chooses to remove it. There, even if I remove a file, move it
to another drive, move it to a NAS or anything else - yes it will lose
original file but it will show me that that connection has been broken
and I can go ahead and reestablish it - I will not lose any information
stored in the database.

Why can't digikam do the same thing? If the file goes missing, amend the
still existing preview with an icon telling the user that the original
has vanished. If he then wants to do something with the original prompt
him with the file dialog so that he can locate the original and thus
regain access to it. If a whole folder has gone missing (by for example
renaming to reflect the location) then locating one file would
automatically reestablish database connection for the rest. That way
digikam would be much more robust, it just doesn't bode well if the
database information are still lost so easily...