All albums are removed if there is a network disconnection

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 30 17:11:58 GMT 2018

On mardi 30 janvier 2018 16:58:38 CET Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> On 30.01.2018 16:12, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> > At least for local collections, digikam is notified of changes through
> > external programs (e.g. editors like darktable), and updates the database
> > on the fly.In other words: a file disappears from disk => it is removed
> > from the database.
> IMHO that is a horrible mistake to make. The user loses information
> about the file because it may be unavailable just for a short moment or
> because of an honest mistake. What if he restores the file? You have
> effectively lost the information in the database because of that stupid
> behavior...

Unavailable through an honest mistake, possible, that's why most OSes nowaways
have a trashcan system (and digikam implements its own, as it has to work
across OSes). On restore, the data is reread, including sidecars (if it is
removed from the database on moving the files to thrash).

But a local file *cannot* be "unavailable just for a short moment", contrary to
files on a network share (esp. WiFi) or removable media.

And to avoid all misunderstanding, I'm talking from my experience (under
Linux) and not in any way connected with the Digikam maintainers/coders.

Remco