All albums are removed if there is a network disconnection

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 30 15:12:15 GMT 2018

On mardi 30 janvier 2018 15:01:00 CET Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> On 30.01.2018 14:55, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> > The first option is only for collections on your local hard disk(s); which
> > should not go off-line.
>
> Even on local hard disks collections can go off line - in case of a
> defect or simply a problem while mounting. Sorry, the collection should
> never ever be emptied without user interaction confirming the action,
> not now, not ever!
True, at least in theory, for defective disks.  I have no idea what digikam
would do in that case. But...

In case of a problem mounting the disk, your collection is on a /removable/
medium, and /you should declare it as such/. (a problem mounting a local disk
would have shown up at system start, long before digikam is started).
In this case the collections were on a network share, and that also should
have been declared in setup.
For both network shares and removable media, you tell digikam "this collection
is not necessarily always present", whereas for a local disk, you basically
say "this collection will always be available".

At least for local collections, digikam is notified of changes through external
programs (e.g. editors like darktable), and updates the database on the fly.In
other words: a file disappears from disk => it is removed from the database.

Also, on reflection, where does OP store the database? (and is it SQLite, or
MySQL?). At least in the version I use (5.5.0), SQLite is the default, and it
is explicitly NOT supported on network shares.

Remco