digikam handbook - DAM section

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 12 12:21:15 GMT 2018

On vendredi 12 janvier 2018 01:14:00 CET longozrouge wrote:
> Maybe not remove, but rewrite the recommendation.
>
> If your camera can create picture files in DNG format, it's a different
> story than using the different manufacturers raw format (pef, nef, orf
> ...).
>
> And if you do not archive in some raw format (DNG being one), what are
> you going to do ? Not in jpeg , which is lossy ; tiff ? but that would
> be extra work for conversion.
>
> Jean-Max
The problem is not DNG in itself, nor the archiving of raw formats; it's the
recommendation to *convert* all raw formats to DNG for archiving that's to be
reconsidered (or, I'd suggest, removed).

If your camera uses the DNG format for its raw output, /of course/ you'll use
DNG for storage/archiving/backups.

And indeed, best is to always keep the raw files, most often /in addition to/
the jpgs/pngs/tiffs you got after editing. As in the film days: you keep the
prints and archive those, but you *also* archive the negatives.

Remco