How to put photo images in a Presentation List

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Mon Jan 8 12:50:30 GMT 2018

Þann mán  8.jan 2018 00:46, skrifaði lachenmaier:
> I am just an amateur photograph (and amateur user of Digikam and Xubuntu
> 17.04).  My main use for a photo manager is to build a presentation to show my
> friends.  For example, a presentation of our latest Africa trip.  I may also
> need to doctor up some of my photos a little.  In addition, I would like my
> presentations NOT to be complete copies of my original photos, but just a list
> of photos taken from my photo database.  I picked DigiKam, because it was
> recommended as the best photo manager for Linux, and it allows creating a list
> of photos to be included in a presentation without copying the photo.  However,
> I am finding that the "work flow" to creating a presentation list is incredibly
> awkward.  I am hoping somebody can tell me of a different "work flow" that will
> be less awkward.
>
> To add a photo to my Presentation List I go through the following steps:
>
>   1. Scan thru photos using Preview mode until I find a photo I want to include.
>   2. Click on Image Editor to see if I want to doctor up the photo a little.  I
>      often use Color>Auto Correction.
>   3. Maybe go to Light Table and compared the doctored image to the original to
>      see if I want to keep it.
>   4. If in Light Table go back to Image Editor.
>   5. Click on OK.
>   6. Click on "Save as New Version".
>   7. Click on the DigiKam main window to go back to Preview mode.
>   8. Put my cursor on the Thumbnail in Preview mode and wait 3 or 4 seconds for
>      the Properties window to pop up so I can find the file name of the photo I
>      want to add to the presentation list. For some reason file names, while
>      listed in Thumbnail mode are not listed in Preview mode, and putting my
>      cursor on the large selected image won't bring up the Properties window.
>   9. Pull down the View menu and select Presentation.  A thumbnail of the photo I
>      want to add is now in the Presentation window.
> 10. Click "Load a Saved List" to bring up a window that allows me to select the
>      file, which contains the Presentation List I am building.
> 11. Double click on the Presentation List file name.  The old list, plus the
>      photo I am adding, is now in the Presentation window.
> 12. Click on the "Save List" button in the Presentation window.
> 13. Select the same Presentation List file that I am building.
> 14. Click Save.
> 15. Click on "Yes", when the message "Another test presentation already exists.
>      Do you want to replace it?"
> 16. Click the Close button to close the Presentation Window.
> 17. Repeat the 16 steps above for the next photo that I want to put in the
>      Presentation List.
>
> Does anybody have a better "Work Flow" for building a Presentation List.  If so
> I would appreciate you describing it!!!!
>
> As a side note I figured out how to use "Gwenview>Plugins>Export>Export to
> remote storage" to create a folder containing all the photos in my Digikam
> presentation, in case I want to give it to a friend.

> [...]

Hi,

My workflow:

1. Rough scan of the photos, deleting unusable photos and perhaps giving
stars to good ones. Now I may have a basic idea about the storyline I'd
present.

2. Do as Remco suggests in his #1, but I create/use a specific tag for
this - the tag can be in a hierachy like this:
	My boring presentations
		Boring slideshows w/o music
			Africa 2017 for friends

I find that using a tag for this is a bit more convenient if the images
are scattered over multiple albums.

3. Now I have plenty more images with this tag than I'll ever use; with
the left hand tag-panel I choose the tag and see all those photos; I now
use the colored flags to mark and then filter (on bottom) until I'm
satisfied. Then I select all the images/versions I will NOT use and
remove the tag.

4. Now I select the rest of the photos which have the tag, and save the
file list.

Regarding your original step #8, it looks like you're working in
full-screen, right? In a windowed state, you can always see the filename
in the Statusbar.

And for the last part, "Export-->Export to Remote Storage/Computer" does
the same in DigiKam, but presumably you need KIPIplugins installed for that.

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli