Digikam file takes up a lot of space

Manuel Bock mbs at mbsnet.de
Sat Jan 6 10:58:32 GMT 2018

Philip,

as mentioned, the thumbnails-digikam.db is speeding up the interactivity of working with large collections, as you especially. If deleting/disabling thumbnails would help you a lot, I’d rather question.

At some point, missing storage storage is just to be improved by more storage space. You could either upgrade you internal ssd, if the model of the laptop allows for it, or you could add an sd-card-drive permanently - for example with a nifty adapter or so. Gilles defintively knows more details. I think, keeping the databases digikam.db and thumbnails-digikam.db in different locations is not possible currently and the request to have the sqlite databases on your internal drive comes from speed requirements plus from preventing you from starting digikam without having your databases connected. Right Gilles? If so, storing both databases on the nifty-drive would be slower but possible.

regards
Manuel