Digikam file takes up a lot of space

WILDLIFE-HELP A.N. wildlife.help at durham.ac.uk
Sat Jan 6 10:06:36 GMT 2018

Hi All,

I use digiKam to tag camera trap images for research purposes. I run it on macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 with 2.9 GHz i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, and 120 GB hard drive.

In my database folder there is a file called: "thumbnails-digikam.db" which takes up over 38 GB of space and I am constantly running out of space on my MacBook. I was told that you should not store your database on an external drive. Is this true? If I change the directory of my database to an external hard drive would this affect it in anyway?

What about on Windows OS, can you have the database directory on a external hard drive?

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Philip Faure

0 (+27) 71 841 8361
0 (+27) 76 236 5892 (WhatsApp)

Community Engagement Officer
Durham University's Primate and Predator Project,
Lajuma Research Centre,
South Africa

Read our Blog<http://primateandpredatorproject.wordpress.com/>
Visit our Website<http://community.dur.ac.uk/r.a.hill/primate_and_predator_project.htm>