[digiKam-users] Search for images with no caption?

papertape plowmail2010 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 23:41:34 GMT 2018

Absent the ability to search for images with no Caption/Description, I
thought I could set a Caption/Description, e.g. to the value "Placeholder",
with ExifTool in image files that had no Caption/Description, and then
search for those files in DigiKam.

After setting a Caption with DigiKam, ExifTool shows the Caption value in
these eight fields in the TIFF image file:

ExifIFD:UserComment
IPTC2:Caption-Abstract
IPTC:Caption-Abstract
XMP-tiff:ImageDescription
XMP-exif:UserComment
XMP-dc:Description
XMP-acdsee:Notes
IFD0:ImageDescription

With ExifTool, I tried setting those fields in an image file with no
Caption/Description, but DigiKam did not show the caption value.
I found the caption value was also in the database file digikam4.db.
To add a Caption/Description to an image file that had no
Caption/Description, I tried adding a record to the ImageComments table in
digikam4.db with /DB Browser for SQLite/, but I couldn't see how to link the
image file to the comment.

So back to square 1: How can we get DigiKam to find images that have no
Caption/Description?