[digiKam-users] Problem with moving grouped images

meku digikam at meku.org
Sun Dec 16 13:23:09 GMT 2018

Thankyou Maik, I tested groups in a fresh database and there are no
problems like you say.

So I dig deeper and discover that only RAW files are having this problem in
my live database. Observing this further I uncover that when JPG files are
moved to a new location they reuse their old ImageID in the database but
strangely the RAW files are given new IDs every time they are moved.

Narrowing this down to the database, it appears that this was only because
the Images.modificationDate field did not have millisecond accuracy in my
live database, it was a DATETIME() field whereas in newly created databases
this field is a DATETIME(3).

So I see two separate issues here:

Firstly at some time the Digikam database schema has changed the format of
various fields (I noticed DATETIME => DATETIME(3) and INT(11) => BIGINT(20)
throughout the database) but these changes have not been retroactively
applied to existing databases.

And secondly, after the schema update the modificationDate fields will
still not contain millisecond accuracy and doing a refresh does not appear
to update this field. This means for users upgrading existing databases may
continue to have issues with RAW files if they move their file/folder
location. Issues may be losing groups (as in my experience) or losing other
metadata (if not writing to sidecars or using lazy synchronisation).