[digiKam-users] digiKam for windows improvements...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:11:24 BST 2018

Hi all users,

Today, i add some guards while cross-compilation of current digiKam code
for Windows.

Typically, there are some options that we can enable to prevent memory
dysfunction under Windows. It's already proposed with Microsoft compiler
and i just discovered through the Krita project that options are also
available with MinGW that we use to compile the Windows version under Linux.

To i activated all the guard for the 32 and 64 bits installers.

Note that i cannot patch whole Qt5 and KF5 libraries. It too much
complicated and require more work to do in background.

I also add the DrMinGW plugin in the windows installer :

https://github.com/jrfonseca/drmingw

This one permit to catch the debug trace in case of internal dyfunction, in
a similar way than KDE crash handler work. At least, users can provide a
backrace of crash without to install a debug environnement for Windows and
try to reproduce the problem.

I played with the installer 64 bits just recompiled today here :

https://files.kde.org/digikam/

I scanned a large collection, scanned face, recomputed all similarity
finger-prints, performs complex searches, run BQM and editor. No crash.

It's just a start. I remember to crash DK very quickly under Windows just
using the faces management tool.

I cannot test all use cases. So my question is : do you see a stability
improvements with the Windows installers published today. When i said
stability, i want mean less violent application shutdowns.

Thanks in advance for your feeback.

Best