[digiKam-users] Anyone with a +300K photos internal mysql database?

Rafael Linux rafael.linux.user at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:42:50 BST 2018

*- Did you use a network file sharing to hosts your collections ?* No
*- Did you try to reproduce the problem with sqlite as database ?* No
I choose internal MySQL thinking precisely in that will be 370.000 photos to
manage. Anyway, if I look how is taking CPU when launching Digikam, I can
observe that Digikam is taken one core at 100%, while MySQL is reaching
barely 17%. I don't know what is doing Digikam at launch but have no sense
that is taking 100% on one core of the CPU.
*- Can you reproduce the dysfunction with all collection hosted to a SSD ?*
Yes
*- Which digiKam version did you use ?* 5.9 and tried with 6 beta, and same
problems

This is the configuration of the hardware and software:
- Intel i7, 16GiB of RAM
- SSD Toshiba 500MiB BTRFS filesystem, hosting OpenSUSE and user folder
("/home" with mysql database included).
- 370.000 JPG+RAW photos in a 4TiB SATA3 HD EXT4 file system (JPG and RAW,
no video)

I agree the first time Digikam (logically) took several hours to create read
all files and store all data, but then, each startup takes a lot of minutes.
One or two minutes ... will be acceptable, but we are talking of more than 5
minutes.

The same related to reordering (as I explain in the bug).

I use htop and *atop* system tools, to see if these issues are memory or I/O
related, but the only think that meets the eye in those tools is Digikam,
taking 100% CPU  :(