[digiKam-users] appimage

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:55:18 BST 2018

Jono,
There are plenty of linux distributions that have the latest stable digikam in their repos.
KDE NeonopenSUSE (Tumbleweed for sure, I don't know about Leap)FedoraManjaro / Archetc.
Maybe the distro you have chosen isn't quite corresponding your needs? I was in the same boat a couple of years ago...
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Jono pollard <jono.pollard at gmail.com> Date: 2018-08-18  5:40 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: Re: [digiKam-users] appimage
Thanks for the suggestion and that's I guess what I'll have to do, but that's my whole point. That it's a more involved process than either sudo dpkg -i digikam.deb or apt-get install digikam. Either of those just does everything for you. No need to create new directories to store stuff, no adding things to your PATH. I don't even know what a .desktop file is. If this is simpler and easier for the user, why is it more involved? I get why it's easier for devs to create but it certainly isn't easier for users. I'm not new to linux, I've been using it solely on my personal laptop for maybe 5 years and before that I was using it off and on, dual boot or on an extra machine since like 2002. I'm not an "(advanced) Linux user" by any means but I'm no stranger. And making things more difficult never seems like progress to me.
Jono