[digiKam-users] Digikam Showphoto reescaling: Where to select units?

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 16 11:08:10 BST 2018

On mercredi 15 août 2018 21:09:25 CEST Rafael Linux wrote:
> I use digikam not only to generate web images, but for print, and when I
> reescale a photo many times I need specify metric units, like centimenters.
> However, Showphoto don't let me choose any unit, but pixels. There will be
> any way to specify units not screen related?

In addition to Gilles' reply, keep in mind that an image size in cm also needs
a resolution (in e.g. pixels/cm) to make sense. And that resolution depends on
the final output device. And if the resolution isn't known (yet), you cannot
ask for an output size in anything but pixel size.

Do keep in mind that repeated rescaling of an image (the "many times" above)
will cause quality loss, more than sending the 'wrong' image size to the
printer. (Of course, this is for subsequent rescalings;  if you always start
from a master file to do one rescaling step to your final file, there's no
problem)

Remco