[digiKam-users] Best distro for digiKam? (user)

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Wed Aug 1 12:17:32 BST 2018

Chiming in a bit late:

Every couple of years I do some distro-hopping to see what fits my
needs; lately my main environment has been LinuxMint with Cinnamon
desktop - and some repository tweaking; some backport packages and of
course the Philip repositories to have the latest DigiKam and friends.

Even so, there have been occasional quirks, normally solvable, but
sometimes waiting a couple of days for a fix. This is I think valid for
most of the *buntu derivative distros.

Meanwhile, I've kept some other distros at hand, sometimes using them to
test the newest versions of DigiKam.

Mageia is rather easy to use, and seems to have good support for KDE.
Manjaro seems to be similar in many ways.

But for a solid, stable productive setup I'd go for OpenSUSE; behind the
scenes they have quite a mechanism for spinning customized repositories,
the software selection at <https://software.opensuse.org/> is immense,
support for hardware is among the best in the Linux-world, they offer an
easy "One Click" package installation (RPM-format) and the
YAST-interface is usable in text-mode from the command-line (has saved
my butt several times when video-card drivers have gone fubar...).

Nevertheless, OpenSUSE are distros I'd try to avoid to set up for other
non-technical users on the same box (guest access or concubine), they
have tendency of getting somewhat bloated (SUSE has a record of doing
things not quite the standard ways) and sometimes it's not
straightforward to configure/isolate issues when there's an overlap of
the configuration managers (clashes/overrides between YAST and the
GNOME/KDE-system managers).

So, I'd recommend OpenSUSE for a private workstation on a box with
plenty of horsepower and for an user willing to set things up as he sees
fit.

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli

Þann þri 31.júl 2018 15:41, skrifaði Daniel Bauer: