[digiKam-users] digikam shows wrong create time in thumbnail view - replicable for one user, not for a different one

B.M. b-misc at gmx.ch
Sun Apr 22 08:19:01 BST 2018

Dear all,

I have a somehow strange problem: wrong Created Times are shown, replicable,
but only for a certain user.

Since at least a week or so, digikam shows "wrong" times in thumbnail view,
which results in a wrong sorting.

E.g. I have a picture which shows 02.03.12 01:00
The properties tab on the right shows Created 02.03.12 01:00 (wrong)
The metadata tab shows for EXIF:
  Date and Time 02.03.12 13:53:45 (correct)
  Date and Time (digitized) 02.03.12 13:53:45 (correct)
  Date and Time (original) 02.03.12 01:00:00 (wrong)
for IPTC:
  Date Created 2012-03-02
  Digitization Date 2012-03-02
  Time Created 13:53:45+00:00 (correct)

Interestingly, if I look at my different album folders, not all pictures are
affected; in typical folders, about 30 - 60% show wrong times. Most folders
are affected, but not all.

The wrong times is 01:00:00 for most of the pictures, but 02:00:00 is shown as
well, other times are not shown. It seem to be folder-specific, i.e. in a
certain album folder it's either 01:00:00 or 02:00:00.

If I rebuild digikam's databases (by renaming the old ones) I get the same
wrong times (especially the wrong one in the thumbnail view).

But if I copy the image (and its xmp sidecar file) to a new (test) user on the
same machine and he imports it (new digikam setup), the correct time (13:53)
is shown for this different user.

I realized this behaviour about a week ago but didn't use digikam for some
weeks before. But I don't think this happened before (I'd noticed it), but if
I look at different album folders I get the impression that and increasing
number is affected. My system is Debian Stable, with digikam 5.3.0.

If I check with exiftool, I correctly get
  Date/Time Original              : 2012:03:02 13:53:45
  Sub Sec Time Original           : 00
  Date/Time Original              : 2012:03:02 13:53:45.00
(but why is it reported twice?)

All files are on the same disk.

What could be the reason for this weird behavior? Thank you for your support!

No, I didn't drink too much beer or wine for the current high temperatures
here in continental Europe...

Best regards,
Bernd