[digiKam-users] DigiKam and multiple computers -- best practices

Bengt bengt.mansson+dk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 08:49:45 BST 2018

I also use two different computers, one windows and one Linux. I am the only
user so I don't need simultaneous work from different computers, but I would
like to switch easy and keep all data in some synced folder (rsync or
cloudsync).
So I looked at the advice from karsten_df about editing AlbumRoots in the
digikam4 database.
I see that the thumbnails-digikam database is less clever; for every picture
it stores the full path. That is too much to edit by hand which means that
the thumbnails must be recreated every time I switch computer. With many k
of pictures that is a no-go.

To work, all databases need to store a base path in just one place and then
only use relative path.

Next step would be to allow the base path to be relative to the database
location, or to have a separate entry for each computer. I think that could
eliminate the editing.

(using version 5.8.0)