[digiKam-users] The future of 6.0.0 bundles and C++11 support...

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 2 07:23:22 BST 2018

On dimanche 1 avril 2018 21:26:27 CEST Dan Kaczor wrote:
> Among the many reasons some of us have switched from Windows to Linux
> was the ability to preserve older investments in computer hardware. We
> have 6 computers currently in the house, only 2 are Windows, 1 is a
> laptop with Windows x64. The other 4 computers are running 32 bit Linux
> of various OS's. We also get donated old computers from people. We make
> some simple refurbishments, install Linux (usually Mint 17+ or 18) and
> put Digikam on all of them then give them to families and the elderly
> who cannot afford computers.
>
> So I vote not to drop Digikam 32 bits. Otherwise we will stop updating
> Digikam at whatever version 32 bits support is ended.
>
> Dan
> Using Digikam since 2.5 (I think)
I don't know how old those computers are, but I've been using 64-bit Linux
since quite a number of years (long enough that upgrading my previous computer
wasn't possible anymore as the interfaces had changed). Linux Mint 18 exists
in a 64-bit version.

And as Gilles remarked, you can always switch to compiling Digikam yourself.
Though that can get progressively more difficult if the distributions start
phasing out otherwise unused libraries Digikam needs.

Remco