digiKam crashing on every second or third XCF file - is there a config file I can modify?

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Sat Oct 28 19:36:37 BST 2017

On 10/28/2017 02:11 PM, Pat David wrote:
> Isn’t the 2.9 series XCF still in flux on the format? Would that possibly
> be the cause of the problem? (Compatibility might be broken in new XCF
> version)?

Compatibility is most definitely broken. I don't expect compatibility to
fixed in the near future, no matter how liberally one might interpret
"near future". So I'm looking to cobble together a solution that:

1. Allows me to see thumbnails for xcf files via ".xcf.png" sidecars.
This works. My script could use some improvement, but at least now all
the sidecar files are in place.

2. Allows me to right-click on a blank thumbnail for the corresponding
xcf file to open the file from within digiKam. This doesn't work right
now because digiKam can't read in the XCF files for all the
above-mentioned reasons and probably a few more. But still it tries to,
and crashes.

In other words, instead of having completely broken support in digiKam
for XCF files, I'd rather have no support at all and just see a blank
thumbnail.

I just downloaded kimageformats from git and found the xcf-related files
and commented out the code that builds the xcf "support".

Now if I only knew enough about c++ to be able to compile the code
without having to comb the internet for clues. Sigh. Any hints for the
cmake command line are more than welcome!

Best,
Elle