digiKam crashing on every second or third XCF file - is there a config file I can modify?

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Sat Oct 28 17:55:45 BST 2017

Currently I have just over a thousand GIMP-2.9 XCF files on my computer,
all in subfolders of a folder named "edit". I'd like to use digiKam to
sort through and reorganize these files, and along the way delete
duplicates and unwanted files.

I know digiKam doesn't make thumbnails for GIMP-2.9 XCF files, so I used
a script to create "xcf.png sidecar" files to go along with the actual
XCF files. These "sidecar" files imported into the database without any
problems. For this preliminary import I put "-xcf" in the list of
additional mimetypes, to tell digiKam to not import actual XCF files.

Unfortunately, upon asking digiKam to add XCF files to the list of files
to be imported into the database (by removing "-xcf" from the list of
additional mime types), digiKam now crashes on every third or fourth XCF
file it tries to scan.

Is there a configuration file that I can open and edit to tell digiKam
to not scan for XCF files? Right now every time I start digiKam it
crashes after scanning only two or three XCF files, so "find and remove"
the problematic XCF files just isn't going to work.

Best,
Elle