Artful Aardvark

James Pirie jkp at bronyaur.co.uk
Thu Oct 26 12:22:26 BST 2017

Hi Gilles, Derek and Peter,

Thanks for your responses.  I had not appreciated what a good idea
appimages were/are :)  For that reason I have avoided them.  However,
having now informed myself it looks like this is the way forward and
will re-install Artful at the next opportunity and set about downloading
my first *.appimage file :)

I wonder though how this system of packaging will affect the future of
Linux Distros in general?  Will they become less or more flexible for
all?  At the moment I get updates automatically for all chosen
applications.  IN the future it may be more difficult to locate the
package I need and, also to keep up with updates but...on reflection, no
more so than with the dreaded Windows 10 system I suppose ;)

Every day is a School day!

Many thanks again.

James

--