Thumbnails not color-managed + severely distorted shadow tonality for thumbs, previews

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Thu Nov 16 20:27:12 GMT 2017

If my memory is not too wrong, thumbnails are stored in sRGB on disk, and are
color managed on load, and then cached. This order is mandatory for
performance reasons. Given that profile loading via X atoms is like a
technology from the 1980s or 90s and there is no change notification, things
like you observe can happen.
(multi monitor setups with different profiles another issue)

Regarding the optimization flag, I find Marti Maria's definitive answer to
this issue raised by you here

https://sourceforge.net/p/lcms/mailman/message/29602585/

asserting that we should not change the flag per default for very convincing
performance reasons, but a specialized option for 16bit -> 16bit conversions
appears acceptable

Marcel