use of soft links for collections

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Wed Nov 15 16:55:47 GMT 2017

On 11/15/2017 10:55 AM, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have my collections spread on an usb disk by date, one by year
>
> This begin to make many collections :-)
>
> I try to make only one collection with inside links to real collections
>
> collection
> collection/linkto2017
> collection/linkto2016
>
> this don't works, when it works perfectly on the system, for example
> with dolphin

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. But currently I have my actual
image files in a partition on a large drive, and my Linux root and $HOME
folders on a second, smaller drive. The digiKam database is in
$HOME/digiKam.

My "Collections" folders are soft links in the $HOME/digiKam folder to
the actual folders on the partition on the large drive, which is mounted
at "/store".

So these are the folder paths where the images are actually located:

/store/camera_files
/store/paintings_and_edited_images
/store/to_be_deleted

And these are the corresponding soft links that digiKam sees as the
Collections folders:

$HOME/digiKam/camera_files
$HOME/digiKam/paintings_and_edited_images
$HOME/digiKam/to_be_deleted

So far this seems to be working, but I only set it up a couple weeks
ago. I've been using digiKam to do a lot of dragging and dropping of
files between various subfolders and also into the "to_be_deleted"
folder, which I've been periodically reviewing and emptying using Dolphin.

So far nothing seems to have gone wrong. But I'm still a bit leery of
unknown traps and issues that might surface . . . Anyone with more
long-term experience with using soft-links as Collections folders?

Best,
Elle