Thumbnails not color-managed + severely distorted shadow tonality for thumbs, previews

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Wed Nov 15 15:16:35 GMT 2017

I made some screenshots to show two separate problems in digiKam when
displaying thumbnails and previews:

https://ninedegreesbelow.com/files/digikam-zoom-and-color-management-problem.jpg

This is for digiKam 5.7.0 on Gentoo Linux.

First problem:

DigiKam is not color-managing the thumbnails, even though in
Settings/Configure/Color Management I did select to "Use color managed
view for previews and thumbnails" as well as "Use color managed view in
editor".

Is anyone else seeing thumbnails that aren't color-managed (not a
relevant question unless your monitor profile isn't sRGB).

Second problem:

For both thumbnails and previews, and for both high bit depth pngs and
high bit depth tiffs, for images in linear gamma RGB color spaces, the
shadow tonality is severel distorted. The smaller the zoom, the greater
the distortion, but even at 50% and 100% zoom, the shadow tonality is
distorted. This is true for both pngs and tiffs.

The corresponding images when displayed in GIMP do not show distorted
shadow tonality even when the zoom is as small as 9%.

Colors do not blend correctly when edited in non-linear RGB color
spaces. As more and more image editors allow for high bit depth image
editing, more people are editing in linear gamma RGB color spaces.

Almost all of my own processed image files are in linear gamma color
spaces. This means digiKam is fairly much useless for allowing me to
examine and rate my processed image files, as image tonality is a key
part of judging the differences between images.

As a possibly relevant additional observation, I opened a test image in
a linear gamma RGB working space from digiKam, using ShowFoto. ShowFoto
also shows the same distortion in the shadow tonality, though not as
extreme as in the digiKam thumbnails.

Is digiKam perhaps using LCMS "low quality" conversions for conversions
from the image color space to the user's monitor profile? In Krita there
is an option under "Settings/Configure Krita/Color Management" to "Allow
Little CMS optimizations" with the warning to "uncheck when using linear
light RGB or XYZ". And indeed having this option in Krita checked
produces similar shadow tonality distortion as digiKam/showFoto is
showing, though not as extreme for zooming eg to 8% or 10%.

Is is possible that the zoom algorithm in digiKam is not properly set up
to handle linear gamma images? For example PhotoShop CS2 (version
current back around 2004) performed very badly with linear gamma image
shadow tonality until the zoom factor was at least 67%, at which point
everything was fine.

Best,
Elle