Questions

Simon Frei freisim93 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 11:11:15 BST 2017

On 13/05/17 08:19, Louis A. Turk wrote:
> On 05/13/2017 01:39 PM, Louis A. Turk wrote:
>> On 05/13/2017 11:54 AM, Louis A. Turk wrote:
>>> Hi Simon,

>>> I see. Thanks for the explanation.

>>> Queue as created by Batch Queue Manager.
>>>
>>> Group selected here does only what it
>>> But no matter what group a photo is in it should be displayed when one
>>> of its tags is clicked in the left panel, right? In my case they do not
>>> display. And no new group was created so far as I can see. When I use a
>>> file manager I can see that the files still exist, and I can even
>>> display them with Linux Mint Mate Xviewer, but they do not display in
>>> Digikam5. What must I do to make them display again?
Grouping is a feature that only exists within digiKam (more exactly its
database). So it has no effect on the filesystem, i.e. when viewing
files with other programs or your file manager.
Grouped items are by default hidden behind the "main item". You can show
them by clicking on the group icon in the bottom left or via the context
menu under Group -> Show/Hide Grouped Images. In the table view three
options are availabe: Show all items, only main items of a group or tree
view. Check out the tree view, it's my favourite for grouped items - as
in the most intuitive to use.

>>> The Batch Queue Manager chapter of the documentation is blank. So,
>>> experimenting or asking on this forum seems to be the only way to learn,
>>> though a little painful. Thanks for responding.
Batch queue manager (bqm) is not really realted to grouping. In some
upcoming release you will be able to include or exclude grouped items
from the bqm. As far as I know the results of bqm are never grouped -
that might be a place for improvement.
>>> By the way, Digikam5 is impressive. I like it. It is the fastest way to
>>> tag photos I've found.
>>>
>>> drl

>> I just notice that they do display in Light Table.
>>
>> drl
>>
> OK, in tag or label view only one image displays, but to the left of
> that image is a triangle. Clicking on that triangle displays the rest of
> the images.
>
> drl

Grouping is enabled in all kinds of views. Quick testing showed the
following behaviour: If the main item of a group has a tag, the entire
group is shown under that tag (with the other elements hidden by
default, but expandable). If the main item of a group does not contain a
tag, but one of the grouped item does, only the grouped item containing
the tag is shown under that tag. I think that is a reasonable behaviour.

Cheers,
Simon