HTML Gallery tool is back...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon May 8 13:41:59 BST 2017

Hi all,

I just completed the port to Qt5 of old HTML Export tool to digiKam
core. It's now named HTML gallery.

To remember the goal of this tool, It able to make a static HTML web
site depending of contents selected from digiKam libraries. Dmitri
blog explain well how to use it :

https://scribblesandsnaps.com/2011/04/26/generate-html-photo-galleries-with-digikam/

So what's new in this tool :

1/ it's now in digiKam core and not shared. Why ? because the only way
to improve this tool is to use digiKam API directly. Also the
maintainer disappear since more than 6 years now. So i take the code
and ported, polished, fixed , improved the implementation as i want to
see it. This take one week with the help of Maik.

2/ The tool will be available in Showfoto too (it's not yet done). I
written a small interface to permit to use this tool without to depend
of digiKam database. This interface is not shared with the rest of the
world.

3/ It's now able to use current selection of images from digiKam icon
view instead to use albums selection. Both mode are available when you
start the wizard dialog.

4/ The HTML gallery is themable and new theme was imported in the
tool. Especially the Elegant theme is just wonderful. It use
Javascript in background and it's my preferred.

5/ As we now depend of digiKam core, we can use all the API available
as well. Especially, it's planed to support Video files through the
new HTML5 API.

If you want to see a preview of this tool in action, look in this Flickr album :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/albums/72157681648466300

The tool use HTML+CSS and can use Javascript in background. You, the
end users can write new theme is you have some skill in web
technologies.

There is a HOWTO describing how to process a new theme creation :

https://cgit.kde.org/digikam.git/tree/data/htmlgallery/themes/THEME_HOWTO

If something is not clear or is missing, please let's me hear.

The current theme list is just near the HOWTO file :

https://cgit.kde.org/digikam.git/tree/data/htmlgallery/themes

I recommend to take a look to "simple" theme, one of easy to
understand. The "elegant" theme is more complex.

I call also through this message about people who have downloaded or
archived one old theme that i cannot restore from the web, as kde-look
web site is down :

"vanilla" theme by Wojciech Jarosz :

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20150911014820/http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Vanilla+theme+for+DigiKam%2BKipi+HTML+Export?content=63079

VoilĂ , i hope that you will enjoy with this tool.

My best