Using Digikam Database from Two (Linux) User Accounts

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 1 10:01:44 BST 2017

On lundi 1 mai 2017 09:08:54 CEST Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to use the digikam database from two user
> accounts on a linux system. The main information I have in the database are
> tags. If that does not work, would I help to write back the tags into the
> photos itself?
>
> Thanks
> Rainer

I'd suggest placing the database (and the photo collection) in a directory
where both accounts have write access (if both have to be able to modify
data). If you have to restrict access to just those two users, you'll have to
play with group membership and permissions.

If you already have a database on one of the use accounts, you can test if
access from another account is possible by changing the permissions (read
permission for group should allow the other user to access the data). The
other account would have to set up its version of Digikam to point to the
database and image collection

I'm not sure both accounts can access the data simultanuously; it's not
something I'd try with SQLite or the internal MySQL server (and MySQL support
is still marked "experimental in GK 5.5.0). But as you talk about users 'on
*a* linux system' I assume that simultauous access isn't physically possible,
anyway. And according to the settings dialog the databases have to be located
on a *local* filesystem, anyway...

Writing the tags back into the photos still means both accounts need write
access to the image files (or even to the containing directories if you have to
create sidecar files, for e.g. raw format files).

Remco