Exiv2 bug reports

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 15:48:53 GMT 2017

What tool is creating xmp sidecar files for the video files at the moment? Exiv2 ?
But anyways, there has to be something else in the FOSS world that can handle the job.
Video format is just too different from the image format so it is tough to find a tool that can handle both very well. Exiftool came pretty close to that but it still lacks of ability to write many of tags.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> Date: 2017-03-11  6:06 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: Re: Exiv2 bug reports
I currently rebuild all digiKam bundle with Exiv2 video metadata support disabled.
At least all crashes inside Exiv2 about video file will disappear.
Another question is about the future of Exiv2. Look well in this message :
http://dev.exiv2.org/issues/1280#note-6

Robin Mills will left the project in December. Following the other message in Exiv2 bugzilla :
1/ Exiv2 don't care about digiKam.2/ Exiv2 drop all UPSTREAM reports from digiKam.3/ Exiv2 will not spare more time to finalize video support.
4/ Exiv2 think about to drop video implementation from the library.5/ Exiv2 future goals do not follow the digiKam requirements.
What's the next stage ?