Unable to add target album

Ronald HUGHES rh at first-rate.info
Tue Jun 20 08:43:29 BST 2017

Hello, I'm new here ..

Kubuntu 16.04
digiKam 5.5.0

I had previously installed digiKam version 4 something via the Software
Center.
Had difficulty using it as the installed and online versions of
documentation didn't seem to correspond with the software version.
So, I removed digiKam via the Software Center.

Installed digiKam 5.5.0 package for Kubuntu via:
apt-get install digikam
from the Installing a package page of https://www.digikam.org/
Then did:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update

digiKam was working ok, imported photos from my dslr and added them to
my pictures folder.
That was fine, until I tried to add a 2nd camera.

I had difficulty getting digiKam to recognise the 2nd camera, so I
re-started digiKam.
I noticed my Pictures folders had disappeared from the Albums column.
Each time I tried to add them, I kept getting:
No default target album have been selected to process download from
camera device. Please select one.

So, I removed digiKam and reinstalled it.
When I now get when I stated digiKam isConfigure - digiKam window is
displayed.
Local Collections - Add Collections
I click on Add Collections
I browse to my pictures folder called Pictures
Pictures    /home/rdh/Pictures
When I click on OK

No default target album have been selected to process download from
camera device. Please select one.

When I click on OK, digiKam displays with Welcome to digiKam 5.5.0

The Albums column is empty, my picture folders are missing.

When I click on Albums in the top menu, all options are greyed out.

When I click on Setting > Configure digiKam > Collections > Local
Collections > Add Collection > Pictures    /home/rdh/Pictures

When I click on OK

No default target album have been selected to process download from
camera device. Please select one.

When I click on Import in the top menu, Add Folders is greyed out

I have tried dragging dropping /home/rdh/Pictures into the Albums
column, but that doesn't work either.

Why did my folders disappear when I re-started digiKam?

What am I doing wrong?

What do I need to do to get digiKam working again.

Please and thank you.