Tags and labels are not synchronised between photo versions

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 17 06:18:21 BST 2017

On vendredi 16 juin 2017 22:41:39 CEST Andrey Goreev wrote:
> I usually use "exiftool -TagsFromFile" to copy tags from one file to
> another.
> I think if exiv2 has a similar function digiKam we some code tweaks could
> do it automatically.
> If it is not already implemented it sounds like a good wishlist item in
> bugzilla to me.

That sounds a bit like overkill in this case, when it would be enough to have
a way to apply changes automatically to all versions of an image (which seems
to be what OP wanted). Also, -TagsFromFile copies *all* metadata tags, unless
you specify otherwise. Not much of a problem between versions of one image,
not nice between different images...

(note: Exiftool tags cover all metadata. Digikam tags are only the /keywords/
the user applies to an image, which is a small subset of Exiftool tags. To
complicate things further, there are at least 3 tags under which keywords can
be stored

But I agree that a way to copy metadata from one image to another could be
very useful, *if* I can select which metadata get copied (at least to a level
where I can select one or more of title/caption, tags, ratings, labels, owner/
rights information, geolocation, ...). And such a copy function must be very
careful /not/ to touch any of the "hardware-related" metadata (original date,
aperture etc.).