Exiv2 bug reports

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:30:09 BST 2017

>> Hi all
>>
>> Some news about the Video metadata support plan :
>>
>> 1/ I investigated the ExifTool way. The time latency introduced by
>> QProcess to run Perl script is too much important. It's acceptable for
>> some image, but for a large collection scan, it's inacceptable. Even
>> if metadata support is excellent, i will forget Exiftool...
>
> isn't it the perl interpreter being set up each time and the fact of running
> an interpreted language...?

It sound like. Perhaps it's configurable. I must admit that is not
pass too much of time to optimize Perl call. In fact is just used the
Exiftool C++ interafce + a small code with Qt to wrap the interface.

> Any way, exiv2 is C++ down to its core, was well designed and well written
> with performance in mind by Andreas. A pity he has left the project.

yes. exactly.  Robin is Windows developer. He don't like very Linux,
cmake, Mingw. A lots of progress have been done to support MSVC, and
of course we don't care about. It's a weird compiler. I lost a lots of
days in my office to try to support it with a huge C++ project. It's a
waste of time. Cross compiling or GCC under windows is better.

Robin have also pass a lots of time to 2 project that we don't care :
WebReady over Curl and Ssh. He leave the video support as well, even
if a GoSC student was assigned to work on it...

> Essentially, we must regard it as unmaintained, no matter if someone who does
> not care fixing bugs or is unfriendly with large library users sees himself as
> a maintainer or not.

He not unmaintained, but i suspect that the project will evolute
slowly now, until a new lead maintainer come in the project. Perhaps
with the use of Exiv2 in Gimp and Darktable, somebody will emerge, but
it's not Christmas time...

>> 2/ I take a look to MediaInfo. A lib is available de facto under
>> Linux. Even project management (source code, compilation rules,
>> compiler support) is not strong from my point of view, the code must
>> be compilable for all bundle. It sound like this project is maintained
>> under Windows, and other platform only provided as well. I'm not sure.
>> The interface is not to much complicated to wrap with digiKam core. So
>> i will study this way for the future.
>
> +1, this seems to be specializing in Video/Audio, while Exiv2 was written for
> photos and later gained some support for Video.

And i revise my viewpoint. The cmpilation rules are there. All
compilation rules. It just hidden and a little bit hard to discover.
cmake, qmake, and other compilation framework are supported. So it's a
good news.

Gilles