Scan for new items takes ages after syncing collection btw. two computers

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 31 12:32:59 GMT 2017

On mardi 31 janvier 2017 11:35:18 CET Chris Green wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:10:35AM +0100, Remco Viëtor wrote:
> > >
> > > Which is what I have been saying should be the default, for years,
> > > for this reason among others.
> >
> > Any default setting should in principle limit possible harm. Writing just
> > changed metadata to image files _as_a_default_ would go against that.
> > Having it as an option is fine, then it's the user who decides he can
> > accept the associated risks.
>
> I didn't mean just changed metadata, I want *all* metadata *always* in
> the files.  It's the only sensible option (for me anyway).

Apparently, always writing all metadata is *NOT* the only sensible option for
everyone (or we wouldn't be having this exchange).
- I'm *not* saying it shouldn't be possible when the user wants it.

And the part about XMP files you elided is important here, as it gives an
alternative that still provides redundancy in cases of database corruption.

Also, there are arguments *against* storing all metadata in the image files,
like privacy considerations (your privacy, and that of anyone figuring in your
images, think geotagging, face recognition, ...) which for some can be as
important as your arguments to make always writing metadata the default
(and again, the discussion for me is about it being the installation
*default*)

Remco