Scan for new items takes ages after syncing collection btw. two computers

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 31 10:10:35 GMT 2017

On mardi 31 janvier 2017 08:41:10 CET Chris Green wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:43:49PM -0600, Jim Gomi wrote:
> > It's much safer to configure digikam to write all tags etc to the image
> > files, and then just sync the image files.
>
> Which is what I have been saying should be the default, for years,
> for this reason among others.

Any default setting should in principle limit possible harm. Writing just
changed metadata to image files _as_a_default_ would go against that. Having
it as an option is fine, then it's the user who decides he can accept the
associated risks.

If you want a default going in that direction, write to XMP files for all
metadata. Digikam knows to look for them, so can synchronise as well as all
changes written to the image files.

But don't set writing changed metadata to image files as a default, please.

Remco