digiKam '97

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:55:37 GMT 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:31 PM, jdd <jdd at dodin.org> wrote:

> Le 17/01/2017 à 20:00, Jack Marxer a écrit :
>
>> I'm not familiar with Discourse, but I do think some way to have tech
>> questions on DigiKam available by searching a Wiki or something similar
>> would be valuable.
>>

> that's true, but I manage wiki(s) myself and know for sure it's very
> difficult to maintain *up to date*.

Agree. An online forum is like a self-organizing and improving wiki.
Discourse search is very powerful, you can tag posts with keywords, and
also, an excellent mechanism to save core developer's time:

As you write a new post, relevant threads are automatically displayed on
the side, based on a surprisingly intelligent keyword matching algorithm.
This is great for new users because they may often find their questions are
already answered (even if the phrasing is slightly different!), thus saving
developers the time of answering them again. Users can also like posts,
surfacing the most valuable information.

Oh, Discourse also has wiki posts: if an admin makes a post a wiki, then
other users can contribute to it, and there's a full revision history.
Here's an example:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-api-documentation/22706 (you can see
the wiki post was edited 21 times).

So yea, setting up Discourse is an initial investment that will take some
time (which I volunteered), but there's a lot of evidence that it can pay
off a lot in the future.